Is it acceptable to backport metapackages witth updated (versioned) dependencies on backported packages?

Hi,

I have switched to stable and want xfce 4.10. I have backported all the
packages and am curious about the reasonable simple way they can be
installed (and keep updated).

Is it acceptable to backport metapackage, xfce4 in this case, and add
versions to dependencies so it will pull all backported xfce packages,
or is it requiered the user will manually install all the packages and
pin them separately?

I am aware of the drawbacks in the first approach, but the second seems
even worse to me if there is no way to distribute pinning information
to backports users, is there such a way? Or even better, is it possible
to pin packages on criteria (like tags or maintainer)?

Cheers,
Petr