Backport Questions from a new debian user

I've recently switched to debian wheezy, and this is my first foray into the debian world. I have a few questions about wheezy's backports.

Debian wheezy's kernel has many, many issues with GUI freezing on intel SNB and IVB graphics (just look at the threads popping up almost daily about it in the debian forums), and this is most likely due to wheezy's old 3.2 kernel. After manually updating to kernel 3.8 the freezes are gone for me. I also need kernel 3.8 for my brightness keys and card reader to work.

I'd like to switch to the official backported 3.8 kernel once it ends up in backports. How long does it typically take for a new kernel to reach backports after a new debian stable release? Will firmware also be backported (I noticed that after compiling and installing kernel 3.8, firmware-realtek stopped working and gave lots of errors about missing firmware when updating the initramfs, this was resolved after downloading firmware-realtek 0.38 from sid)