fbdev kernel module?

Can anyone explain to me why xorg video fbdev works if the squeeze-backports kernel is used, but not if the vanilla squeeze kernel is used?

My understanding is that this the the vesafb module in the kernel.

I looked for it in the kernel source config (make menuconfig) but I can't find this vesafb. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I had to disable the xorg intel video driver on my mothers Dell 2400 as it was crashing. With the backports kernel it then works with fbdev, but with the vanilla squeeze kernel this totally disables xorg.

thanks, Philip