Re: 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 ate my dvd drive

Hi,

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 18:02 +0200, Jim MacBaine wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my desktop to kernel version
>> 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae from debian-backports.
>
> From what?

>From 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae, which let me access the dvd drive just fine.

> I think these devices should be handled by ahci and pata_jmicron
> respectively.

That's what I first thought, too.

> Yes, but we replaced jmicron with pata_jmicron years ago (in 2.6.30-1).
> The recent change just finished off the transition (aside from a very
> few controllers with no new driver).
>
> Not all PCI devices are matched by device ID.  They can also be matched
> by class code (as the abovementioned drivers do).

Ah, I didn't know that.

>> So it seems the controller is not supported at all by the pata
>> drivers and I cannot use the drive with 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 at all.
> Well, I believe it's mean to be supported by pata_jmicron.  Is that
> driver being loaded?   What error or other messages does it log?

pata_jmicron is being loaded and does indeed seem to find the PATA
interfaces. Other modules needed for access to the drive like cdrom
and sg are not being loaded. I just tried to modprobe all modules that
were autoloaded with bpo.1 but not with bpo.2, until the lists of
loaded modules were identical aside from their order.

I have uploaded the dmesg outputs from bpo.1 and bpo.2 here:

http://pastebin.com/jjkhbgem
http://pastebin.com/GwnTfNmz

One obvious difference is that the ata interfaces seem to be
initialised in a different order. The PATA interfaces are ata1/ata2
with bpo.1 and ata9/ata10 with bpo.2.

Thank you very much for your time,
Jim