Re: request linux-image-686 to depend on a kernel that does not need the pae cpu instruction

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 12:36 +0200, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> On 29/03/12 16:54, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Those should have warned you at installation time.  Maybe you did the
> > installation on some other system before transferring the disk...?
>
> Jups, I most times do a debootstrap of the disk/flash on an other
> system, then put the disk into the system and boot.
>
> I can live with this issues, the 486 kernel seems to work. I do wonder
> if I get performance loss of all the CPU instructions that that will not
> be used now.

On the contrary, for at least 2 of the affected processors (VIA C3
Nehemiah and Pentium M Dothan) the 486 flavour provides a measurable
performance gain (at least for some simple-minded VFS and networking
benchmarks):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.kernel/67703/focus=67705

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Larkinson's Law: All laws are basically false.