Re: intel graphics crashes with backported kernel and X11 stack [was: Re: Bug on my VGA driver]

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 01:03:02PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 09:46 AM, Frank wrote:
> > Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics
> > Device (rev 01)
>
> http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/faq/general.html#_intel_driver
>
> suggests that "older" cards are not well supported.  I think this
> chipset qualifies as "older", unfortunately (i'm responsible for several
> machines with this chipset myself).
[...]

I would consider all the i8xx chips as 'older' and unlikely to receive
any testing by Intel developers working on the drivers.  Several of
those chips also have serious bugs that are apparently very difficult
to work around.  However I was under the impression that the
'shadowfb' changes to the X driver had largely solved those (at the
expense of performance).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings