Re: dpkg backport in NEW

On 01/20/2012 06:52 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>>>  unfortunately I haven't found the timeframe yet that I would like to
>>> put onto a package that central and with bigger changes than usual.
>>> Have you uploaded the package somewhere else for others to take a look
>>> at so feedback can be seeked also by a more broader audience?
>>
>> Not yet. I just did so:
>> http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/packages/dpkg_1.16.1.1~bpo60+2_i386.changes
>> http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/packages/dpkg_1.16.1.1~bpo60+2.dsc
>
> Did anyone try to build backports with this version of dpkg-dev ?
>
> We're on a dead lock because some people are waiting for this backport and
> Alexander is waiting until someone gives some feedback on this package
> before processing it out of the NEW queue where it's sitting.

And it's also creating issues like someone can't check the version of
dpkg using packages.debian.org, then might depend on the wrong version
of dpkg. I have just uploaded MLMMJ with a depends dpkg-dev (>=
1.16.1.2~) instead of 1.16.1.1~, because of this. Yes, I did forgot to
check the new queue in backports, and realized my mistake few minutes
after the upload (at least I saw and understood it), but should we be
expecting everyone to check the backports new queue? Also, if I wasn't
aware of the forthcoming backport of dpkg, I'd have just do a depend
without using ~...

Alexander, you now have a positive feedback, could you accept this new
dpkg in backports? Of course, no doubts of your good intention of
quality control, but holding it is doing more bad than good, IMO.

Thomas

P.S: I'm also waiting for pkg-php-tools to be accepted in order to fix
the roundcube backport issue...