RE: sandybridge second generation and squeeze -- problems: SOLVED

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me with this.  In the end the
key issue was indeed the Intel drivers, and "dE ." <de.techno@gmail.com>
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2012/01/msg00037.html) and
Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2012/01/msg00031.html) probably
provided the key info, although everybody helped educate me!

It seems that the absolute latest intel driver is not needed, so I did not
have to compile it, I could use the one from backports.

I had to install

apt-get -t squeeze-backports install  firmware-realtek

to deal with a message raised by the kernel install that some of the
firmware was not up to date enough, but at this point I can switch tty and
the system seems to do the various power-related functions properly as
well.  I am using a usb modem so I am not sure 100% that the NIC firmware
issue has been resolved, but I can wait and see for that...

Many thanks!

Darren