Re: r8168b woes

Sigh,

After adding the firmware-realtek, the error is gone and the message
goes away, however my machine still will not netboot, where the
VirtualBox PXE_Boot image will. I suspect this means the driver still
isn't fixed, at least not with compiling from source from unstable.
One last thing I can try is to unpack the actual deb package and place
the files in the correct locations and try again, however for the
moment the only stable version of the r8196 driver is in the current
stable kernel.

Now get ready for the real kicker. I wanted as a precaution to set up
the driver from realtek r8168 and compiled it against the stable
kernel. That driver exhibits the same behavior as the broken r8169
drivers of the later kernels! It almost makes me wonder if the error
is in the r8168 code and it somehow got copied into later kernels
r8169 code to expand it's support. Even though I "don't have a
problem" I'm going to be very nervous upgrading my system, or even
introducing an updated stable kernel.

Looks like for the moment I'm keeping a copy of the current kernel
.deb packages just in case a future update breaks the driver.

The saga continues
Jeffrey