Re: 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 ate my dvd drive
- To: Ben Hutchings <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 ate my dvd drive
- From: Jim MacBaine <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:40:43 +0200
- Message-id: <CAMoY8LrzMb5-5QeAVEGSLfXKJ-ZcfnVg=FSHigmj_nOue_XVnQ@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <1335240105.4056.56.camel@deadeye>
- References: <CAMoY8LpuqZqE16dwpTgwKjM7j2D8x-5dUor5Au+=qSoVyQiffirstname.lastname@example.org> <1335240105.4056.56.camel@deadeye>
Ben Hutchings <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 18:02 +0200, Jim MacBaine wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my desktop to kernel version
>> 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae from debian-backports.
> From what?
>From 3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae, which let me access the dvd drive just fine.
> I think these devices should be handled by ahci and pata_jmicron
That's what I first thought, too.
> Yes, but we replaced jmicron with pata_jmicron years ago (in 2.6.30-1).
> The recent change just finished off the transition (aside from a very
> few controllers with no new driver).
> Not all PCI devices are matched by device ID. They can also be matched
> by class code (as the abovementioned drivers do).
Ah, I didn't know that.
>> So it seems the controller is not supported at all by the pata
>> drivers and I cannot use the drive with 3.2.0-0.bpo.2 at all.
> Well, I believe it's mean to be supported by pata_jmicron. Is that
> driver being loaded? What error or other messages does it log?
pata_jmicron is being loaded and does indeed seem to find the PATA
interfaces. Other modules needed for access to the drive like cdrom
and sg are not being loaded. I just tried to modprobe all modules that
were autoloaded with bpo.1 but not with bpo.2, until the lists of
loaded modules were identical aside from their order.
I have uploaded the dmesg outputs from bpo.1 and bpo.2 here:
One obvious difference is that the ata interfaces seem to be
initialised in a different order. The PATA interfaces are ata1/ata2
with bpo.1 and ata9/ata10 with bpo.2.
Thank you very much for your time,