Re: fglrx-driver doesn't work with stock kernel

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Jerry wrote:
> First of all, thank you for the quick reply.
>
> Am 29.03.2012 17:49, schrieb Michael Gilber:
>
>> Did you install the linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64 package?  Absent
>> that, the kernel module will not be built.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Mike
>
> Oh, I see. I guess it worked out of the box with the 3.2 kernel because
> fglrx-driver from backports depends on the 3.2 headers.
> So, how would I get it to build the kernel module for 2.6 after installing
> the headers? apt-get install --reinstall fglrx-driver?

Just install the missing headers package, and your kernel modules will
be automagically built and installed.

> Also, do you have an idea on how to solve that problem with the 'display
> identification number'? It seems there's two modes in the
> Catalyst Control Center, 'toggle', where it'd be visible until it's disabled
> and 'auto-hide', where it disappears after a short period of time.
> But everytime this number shows up again, it's set to 'toggle' in the
> control center.

No idea.  The amd drivers now support xrandr for multiple displays,
which is much more reliable than their proprietary system.

Best wishes,
Mike