Re: Kernel panic with linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 09:49 +0100, Nick White wrote:
> I had been running linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 for the last
> week without problems. Last night I upgraded to
> linux-headers-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64, and was sad to find this morning
> that it panics early into the boot (I believe when loading the
> kernel, not the initramfs).

You mean linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 and -0.bpo.2-amd64.

The linux-headers packages are development packages for building
addiitonal modules.

> I'm not sure how to debug this; the panic output on the screen is
> far from complete (as it hasn't got around to setting a nice screen
> mode by the time it fails), and I don't have a way of capturing it.
> Does a panic write something somewhere? Can I encourage it to do so?
>
> Any help tracking this down would be much appreciated.
>
> A related question (I'm new to Debian) - why does
> apt-get dist-upgrade remove my previous kernel when upgrading? It
> caused considerably more annoyance to get my box back up when I
> found the new kernel wasn't co-operative.

It isn't supposed to do that and I've never seen it do that.  (If there
is no ABI bump i.e. package name change, the new version replaces the
old.  But in this case, there was such a change.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Horngren's Observation: