pcsc-lite backport, need to install dpkg-dev from backports?

Dear Friends,

This is my first post on the list, so a big THANK and HELLO to everyone.

pcsc-lite is an excellent smartcard/cryptographic token framework, very
well supported by Debian. However, over time, pcsc-lite evolved:

sid: pcsc-lite 1.8.2-1
wheezy pcsc-lite 1.8.2-1
squeeze pcsc-lite 1.5.5

The drawback with the old squeeze version is that pcscd 1.5.5 deamon
(smartcard deamon) pulls the USB port constantly and thus "eats" up to
10%, sometimes more, of CPU power. Not very "green". It also contains
several bugs, which were fixed later on.

We are prepared to contribute a Debian backport for pcsc-lite (and
libccid). And maintain backports over time.

We have set-up a small compilation farm using pdebuild and chroot for
most recent Debian distros. It works pretty well, except for Squeeze!

The problem is that pcsc-lite 1.8.2-1 fails to build with squeeze:

*********
DIST=squeeze ARCH=i386 pdebuild
....dh build
   dh_testdir
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_configure
dpkg-buildflags: unknown option `--export=configure'

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/pcsc-lite-1.8.2'
dh_auto_configure --  --with-systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system
Usage: dpkg-buildflags [<action>]  Actions:   --get <flag>       output
the requested flag to stdout.   --origin <flag>    output the origin of
the flag to stdout:                      value is one of vendor, system,
user, env.   --list             output a list of the flags supported by
the current vendor.   --export=(sh|make) output commands to be executed
in shell or make that export                      all the compilation
flags as environment variables.   --help             show this help
message.   --version          show the version.
****

dh_auto_configure
fails as it does seem to know how to handle these options:

the rules files contains:
override_dh_auto_configure:
        dh_auto_configure -- $(EXTRA_CONFIGURE_ARGS)
--with-systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system $(shell dpkg-buildflags
--export=configure)

So my question is simple: to build a Debian backport, shall I install an
updated dpkg-dev package from backports in the chroot? Is this
acceptable or shall create/fix the rules file? Any idea appreciated.

Kind regards,