deb packaging depends

Hi,
Have you ever tried to install some of these deb packages on a system without Internet? Try it some time and you will understand why most of the people trying Linux distros for the first time quite. I am a retired EE and even though computers were only in dreams when I was schooled, I had to learn ASM and C++. When I wrote software I had to make it stand-a-lone. In other words, a person had to be able to install it on a system that was not connected to the Internet, and if it needed add-ons, I had to add them in an INCLUDE file. This way the person installing the package didn't have to look for LIB, or any depend files. I have tried to get my 64bit laptop working on dial-up since Christmas with out any luck. I am running Ubuntu 11.10 AMD(64) which does not have any dial-up programs. At present every time I tried to install a deb file, there was always dependences which were not included. At the least, when you download a package, one should expect to see a warning or note stating that there were dependences or necessary add-ons that needed to be downloaded before the package would work. I have yet to see this. I only find out after I go to my desktop, do a dial-up connection, download the package, and try to install. Now is when I find out. I then go download the dependences and now I find out that the usb-modeswitch needs a lib not included. I download the deb file it says I need only to get this message. "package architecture (KFreebsd-AMD64) does not match system (AMD64)". It says in the file name that it is for the AMD64 architecture. Now for my question, Can these depends, and LIB files not be included in an INCLUDE or header file so that they can be loaded all at one time without all the pain? It would seem to me that it should be easy for a software EE (which I am not) to simply look at the system lib or depend files, and if it was not present, to add and install it. I realize that most of these packages are free and are takes a lot of time for the people writing them but it also seems to me that adding these depend and lib files would take little extra time (since they are already available) after all the work done on the original package.

Thanks,
Glenn E. Irick Sr. Retired EE