intel graphics crashes with backported kernel and X11 stack [was: Re: Bug on my VGA driver]

On 01/25/2012 09:46 AM, Frank wrote:
> Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics
> Device (rev 01)

http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/faq/general.html#_intel_driver

suggests that "older" cards are not well supported.  I think this
chipset qualifies as "older", unfortunately (i'm responsible for several
machines with this chipset myself).

I find that it works better with a backports kernel and the squeeze
xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-video-intel and libdrm-intel1.

It was very crashy (same drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed messages) with linux
2.6.32 and the squeeze X stack, but those crashes have diminished since
i upgraded the kernel.  Maybe try rolling back your X stack to squeeze
(or upgrading fully to linux kernel 3.2 now that Ben has put it into
backports)?

	--dkg