Re: Backport of Kicad

Hello Martin,

the last version of Kicad in Debian has a version number 0.0.20110616,
which means that it is two months old.

When I browse the web pages of the project, I can find the file
http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/cao/how_to_download_sources.txt
which hints to get source code directly at any time from the bazaar.

It is difficult for a maintainer to assume that a source code can be
considered as stable enough for a release at a random date.
Unfortunately, when authors of Kicad decide of a stable version, they
only publish binary packages. The last binaries are:
http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/cao/kicad-2011-07-08-BZR3044-stable-UBUNTU_10.10_full_with_components_doc.tgz
and
http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/cao/KiCad-2011-07-08-BZR3044-WinXP_full_with_components_doc_install.exe
a source tarball for this stable release is clearly missing.

So, Martin, each time you have priviledged information about which
release in the bazaar can be considered as good for publication, do not
hesitate to post a bugreport against the Debian package Kicad, with a
severity "normal" or "wishlist", to request its packaging. Provide
informations about which precise release may be downloaded, whether it
has been approved by upstream developers, etc.

You can also ask kindly upstream developers to publish the source
tarball they used to create stable binaries. If they can do this
regularly, I can create a watch automaton to be notified as soon as a
packaging opportunity appears.

Last, but not least, can you hint me about the right revision to fetch
now from the bazaar to build a well-featured binary ?

Best regards,			Georges.

--
Georges KHAZNADAR et Jocelyne FOURNIER
22 rue des mouettes, 59240 Dunkerque France.