Re: is there any way to request a specific backport?

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:40:15 -0500
"Kyle Simpson" <getify@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to request a specific backport?

Yes, but someone has to volunteer to do the work and that work has to
be worth doing and appropriate.

If the person doing the work is not a Debian Developer, the backport
then has to be sponsored into the archive so the same process of
justification and usefulness is applied. There are numerous requests
for uploads on this list which do not find volunteers who are
interested in checking the backport.

> In particular, I'd like the libqt4-* packages (and all dependencies) to be
> backported from squeeze to lenny-backports or lenny-backports-sloppy. Is
> that possible?

It's entirely possible if you want to do the work. It's unreasonable to
expect someone else to do it for you when what you are requesting is
effectively to backport an entire suite of packages.

I've done some qt4-x11 rebuilds for Squeeze recently, there is no way
I'd consider backporting it to Lenny. It's even less likely for
qt4-x11 from unstable.

If you've got sufficient reason for the backport, maybe try building
qt4-x11 from Squeeze on Lenny and see where it gets you.

If you want Qt 4.6 instead of 4.3 then you simply need to use Squeeze.

Lenny, as oldstable, will disappear around this time next year anyway
as the Wheezy freeze is due to be under way.

--

Neil Williams