Re: What is holding Audacious?

On 01/07/11 15:10, Rodney wrote:
You stated that comments would be welcome, I hope that is true.

Hi Rodney and thanks for taking the time to reply.

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 10:06 +0100, rent0n wrote:
Dear all,

Please forgive me if my question is inappropriate, I'm relatively new
backports.

Yes, it was only last month when you asked about backports on the Debian
forum and then suggested someone was rude for giving you links to the
easily found information rather than digesting and writing it out for
you. I don't mean that to be rude, merely factual.

I'm afraid I really miss the point and fail to understand the link between my email to the debian-backports mailing list and the topic I previously opened at Debian Users Forum [1]. There, I had a very informative and nice conversation with several users. One of the answers sounded a bit rude to me, and I expressed my opinion about that matter, that's it. If you read the whole thread, you'll soon realize I wasn't looking for someone "digesting and writing out" information for me but rather asking specific questions about backports to people that knew the backporting process better than I did. It turned out to be a very useful topic, rich of information from various sources.

[1] http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64131

So my question is: what is holding Audacious to be backported? Could
somebody please review and upload the packages? That would be greatly
appreciated.

The fact that it works in your system is not conclusive data that it
would work in any situation. I realise that you are anxious, to have the
backport but patience will be your friend here. If keyholders are
cautious with their uploads, or busy then it is something to be
tolerated. The integrity of backports repositories is something that
serves us all in the long run.

Thanks, this is a very informative answer. I understand it takes time to review and test a package and I can imagine developers are already pretty busy. I just thought somebody would have said something like: "The package is on my queue, I'll have a look at it when I have some spare time". Mine, indeed, was more a call for help rather than anything else.

Thanks,

--
rent0n