Re: Backports for fglrx and chromium-browser (and two dependencies)

   Hi!

* Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> [2011-06-19 16:19:28 CEST]:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:51:56 +0200 Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > Giuseppe Iuculano schrieb am Sunday, den 19. June 2011:
> > >

> > >  * allow squeeze's libvpx0 0.9.1 to satisfy dependencies (spot-checked
> > > some webm videos and they seem to work just fine with this older version).
> > >

> > > Don't do this, please. chromium 11 needs libvpx0 >= 0.9.6, see  #618621
>
> All of the links in that bug report seem to work ok.  I wonder if
> that was just some backwards compatibility lost in version 10's
> development and fixed later.
>
> > for a complex beast like chromium I would prefer to have either the original
> > maintainer or a really experienced debian developer as maintainer of the
> > backport.
> >
> > Probably we would reject the package if we are not sure if the
> > uploader/maintainer isn't able to handle it.
>
> Personally, I see no problem handling this.  It will just be a matter
> of keeping up with the numerous updates that fix lots of security issues.

 Actually, it isn't, if you go wakenly against the explicit stated
recommendation of the original package maintainer here.

> Perhaps Guisseppe can volunteer to mentor/watch my work.

 I would doubt that if you ignore his recommendation, and from that
perspective I can only repeat what Alexander wrote: For a package like
this the backporter should be someone that takes the concerns of the
original package maintainer seriously and not addresses them with a
"works for me" response.

 Thanks,
Rhonda