Backporting a whole X stack

Hi again Jesse,

Jesse W. Hathaway <jesse@mbuki-mvuki.org> (26/05/2011):
> I would be interested in helping the team to make this happen, would
> you be able to give me an idea of time commitment and technical
> abilities that would be required if I were to assist?

sorry for the delay before getting back to you.

Out of the blue, for a whole new stack, you might need:
 - some x11proto*/libx* updates for the server (example: libxfixes for
   pointer barrier support); maybe for some drivers (example: libxcb*
   for the intel video driver);
 - libdrm, for some drivers, and for mesa;
 - mesa, needed for the server;
 - drivers.

I might be missing something, but that's already a big task. :)

Some comments follow.

 * I would suspect x11proto*/libx* are trivial to backport. libdrm
   shouldn't be too hard either. mesa is a real beast, and is really
   costly, when it comes to CPU eating (and brain damage might occur,
   you've been warned!), probably one of the biggest task.

 * Once libraries in place, the server should be quite easy to backport.
   But some drivers might have been dropped in the meanwhile, so meta
   packages might need be adjusted, so that they are still installable;
   that's probably going to be a boring part of the job.

 * Drivers should also be an easy task. But there are 40-50 of them. So,
   again, boring. :/

 * Finally, multiarch is on its way in unstable, and stable has no
   multiarch support. So I would suspect one would have to revert the
   multiarch changes. That would also mean taking extra care of versions
   in Breaks, Conflicts, etc. (see the mesa mess these days[1]). That's
   probably a difficult task (as in: need extra care).

 1. http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/18/mesa_a_disturbance_in_the_Force/

(Also, I'm not sure how dropping multiarch support will be seen by
backports folks. That's an important, and dangerous, change from
testing, and they really insist on the changes' being kept as minimal
as possible.)

I hope this is a good overview.

Mraw,
KiBi.