Re: RFS: fetchmail-6.3.19 backport to Lenny

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 02:31:39PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 03:05:10PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>
> Hi,
> more or less a full quote for debian-backports
>
> > I'm looking for a sponsor for a backport of fetchmail-6.3.19-1 to
> > Debian Lenny.  The main reason for the backport is to forestall at
> > least the very first requirement of the upstream fetchmail maintainers
> > when problems are reported - "upgrade to the latest version" :)
>
> I wonder if it makes sense to tackle such things for Lenny backports
> now that we're more or less half through the year of old-stable support.

Well, it helped at least one Lenny user :) (the reason I made the backport
was to help somebody on the fetchmai-users mailing list; references to
that e-mail exchange are in my message to pkg-fetchmail-maint)

I guess it would do no harm, and it might even help others who have not
upgraded yet for various reasons - from laziness to corporate policy to
difficulties in porting local changes to newer Debian versions.

However, if no DD decides that it is worth the trouble of reviewing and
uploading, that'd be fine, too :)

> > The package is available at mentors.d.n:
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/fetchmail/fetchmail_6.3.19-1~bpo50+1.dsc
>
> It should be aimed at -sloppy.

Oops, right.  Fixed and reuploaded to the same mentors.d.n URL.
Thanks for the response and the advice!

> > I first sent this as a request for review to the pkg-fetchmail alioth
> > list (the maintainers of the Debian fetchmail package) -
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fetchmail-maint/2011-April/004071.html
> > There were no concerns or objections raised, and Nico Golde seems to
> > approve of the idea, as expressed in his reply -
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fetchmail-maint/2011-May/004075.html

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org peter@packetscale.com
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.