Re: "Automatic" backports . good for leaves, not for libs.

Le 29/09/2011 09:45, Mike Hommey a écrit :
Hi,

I'm one of those people believing that packages that do grant a backport
shouldn't require modification to do so. As such, all the packages I
backport have no modifications in their source compared to the version
in testing/unstable, besides the obvious debian/changelog change.

This means such packages could just automatically flow into backports. I
must say it would make my life easier if it were the case ; I happen
to regularly forget to push security updates to lenny-backports.

What do the backports people think about that?

Mike

PS: Please Cc me, I'm not subscribed.

As a debian user (for servers and several desktops) i see 2 things :
- automatic backport of applications (*leaves* in the .deb tree, nothing depends on them) could be tried automatically, and would provide (more) recent version of packages, this would be great

- automatic backport of intermediate packages (libs or anythign that is not a leaf == is in the dependency list of 2+ packages) risk to provoke a big mess and imo should not be automatic.

my 2 cents.
Alain