Re: [rene@debian.org: Re: Libre Office Transitional packages]

On 06/21/2011 10:34 AM, Rene Engelhard wrote:
Forwaring, obviously I didn#t press the correct key and/or forgot
to Cc the list..

----- Forwarded message from Rene Engelhard<rene@debian.org>  -----

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:19 +0200
From: Rene Engelhard<rene@debian.org>
To: Anthony Nordquist<salinelinux@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Libre Office Transitional packages

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 01:53:19PM -0400, Anthony Nordquist wrote:
I would like to request the backporting of the Openoffice.org>
Libre Office transitional packages. As of right now aptitude install
-t squeeze-backports openoffice.org doesn't do anything and aptitude
Why should it?

it's not openoffice.org, it's libreoffice. Different thing. I don't
see why a aptitude install -t squeeze-backports openoffice.org should do
anything.

The transitional packages mainly are for dist-upgrades (squeeze->wheezy,
preplacing the installed OOo with LibO), which you hopefully won't do
with squeeze-backports on full prio.

install -t squeeze-backports libreoffice generates a whole bunch of
conflicts (While Openoffice.org is installed). Please and thank you
which is correct. They are not supposed to be co-installable.
Why is it backports' problem?

to anyone so kind to backport them :)
Backporting them will cause a load of hassle to again operate some
transitional packages out which have no place in squeeze because there
is transitional packages for other transitions which didn't (and hopefully
won't) take place in squeeze-backports. Thus I didn't upload that yet
(actually I accidentially uploaded a backport with many of those packages
uninstallable/broken for exactly this reason - all openoffcie.org-hyphenation
and openoffice.org-thesaurus stuff for example; same with all the out of tree
OOo/LibO extensions)

Grüße/Regards,

René
I see, thank you for the explanation. I just considered having to purge all of openoffice.org before installing Libre Office from backports was more complicated than it needed to be. Aptitude doesn't currently handle the operation very elegantly and I thought having the transitional packages available would smooth this out so less manual work needs to be done by the end user. Considering Libre Office and OpenOffice.org different programs at this point is mostly splitting hairs, since OpenOffice.org's natural evolution is to be murdered relentlessly by the open source community in favor of Libre Office.

I thank you for taking the time to respond and if it really does cause too many issues, its fine as is. The backport does work without issue, after getting it installed.