Re: Accepted exim4 4.72-3~bpo50+1 (source i386 all)

On 2011-01-06 Jan Wagner <waja@cyconet.org> wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

> On Thursday, 6. January 2011, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > Changes:
> >  exim4 (4.72-3~bpo50+1) lenny-backports; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * Rebuild for lenny-backports.

> could you be so kind to provide a changelog back to you last upload
> to bpo?
[...]

thanks for the pointer, there you are:

  * [README.Debian*] Correct command for manual paniclog rotation. (Thanks,
    Jörg Sommer) Closes: #602188
  * 67_unnecessaryCopt.diff: Do not use exim's -C option in utility scripts.
    This would not work with ALT_CONFIG_PREFIX.
  * Pull changes related to fixing CVE-2010-4345 from exim 4.73 rc1.
    Closes: #606527
    + 1_cfile_norw_eximuid: Don't allow a configure file which is writeable by
      the Exim user or group.
    + 2_permcheck_configurefile: Check configure file permissions even for
      non-default files if still privileged.
    + 3_remove_ALT_CONFIG_ROOT_ONLY: Remove ALT_CONFIG_ROOT_ONLY build option,
      effectively making it always true.
    + 4_FD_CLOEXEC: Set FD_CLOEXEC on SMTP sockets after forking in the
      daemon, to ensure  that rogue child processes cannot use them.
    + 5_TRUSTED_CONFIG_LIST: Add TRUSTED_CONFIG_LIST compile option.
    + 6_nonroot_system_filter_user: If the system filter needs to be run as
      root, let that be explicitly configured.  The default is now the Exim
      run-time user.
    + 7_filter_D_option: Add a (compiletime) whitelist of acceptable values
      for the -D option.
    + 8_updatedocumentation: Update documentation to reflect the changes.
  * Build with WHITELIST_D_MACROS=OUTGOING. Post patch 7_filter_D_option exim
    will not regain root privileges (usually necessary for local delivery) if
    the -D option was used. Macro identifiers listed in WHITELIST_D_MACROS are
    exempted from this restriction. mailscanner (4.79.11-2.2) uses -DOUTGOING.
  * Build with TRUSTED_CONFIG_LIST=/etc/exim4/trusted_configs. Post patch
    3_remove_ALT_CONFIG_ROOT_ONLY exim will not re-gain root privileges
    (usually necessary for local delivery) if the -C option was used. This
    makes it impossible to start a fully functional damon with an alternate
    configuration file. /etc/exim4/trusted_configs (can) contain a list of
    filenames (one per line, full path given) to which this restriction does
    not apply.

The NEWS entry might also be of interest:
  Exim versions up to and including 4.72 are vulnerable to CVE-2010-4345.
  This is a privilege escalation issue that allows the exim user to gain
  root privileges by specifying an alternate configuration file using the -C
  option. The macro override facility (-D) might also be misused for this
  purpose.

  In reaction to this security vulnerability upstream has made a number of
  user visible changes. This package includes these changes.
  If exim is invoked with the -C or -D option the daemon will not regain
  root privileges though re-execution. This is usually necessary for local
  delivery, though. Therefore it is generally not possible anymore to run an
  exim daemon with -D or -C options.

  However this version of exim has been built with
  TRUSTED_CONFIG_LIST=/etc/exim4/trusted_configs. TRUSTED_CONFIG_LIST
  defines a list of configuration files which are trusted; if a config file
  is owned by root and matches a pathname in the list, then it may be
  invoked by the Exim build-time user without Exim relinquishing root
  privileges.

  As a hotfix to not break existing installations of mailscanner we have
  also set WHITELIST_D_MACROS=OUTGOING. i.e. it is still possible to start
  exim with -DOUTGOING while being able to do local deliveries.

  If you previously were using -D switches you will need to change your
  setup to use a separate configuration file. The ".include" mechanism
  makes this easy.
  The system filter is run as exim_user instead of root by default. If your
  setup requies root privileges when running the system filter you will
  need to set the system_filter_user exim main configuration option.

cu andreas