Package hold / preferences oddity

affects non-backports packages
We have the (standard, not backports) kernel held:

# aptitude search "~ahold"
ihA linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64        - Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64
ih  linux-image-amd64                 - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

As expected, this means the kernel is not updated by default:

# aptitude safe-upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Would download/install/remove packages.

...even though an update is available:

# apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64
linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64:
  Installed: 2.6.26-25
  Candidate: 2.6.26-25lenny1

However, if we add the preferences lines to ensure that we are notified
about any updated backports packages:

# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

,,,it breaks our hold on the kernel packages:

# aptitude safe-upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
  roundcube roundcube-core{a} roundcube-sqlite{a}
  linux-image-2.6.26-2-amd64
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/21.0MB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

Can anyone shed any light as to why the backports preferences lines are
affecting non-backports packages?

Thanks,
Keith