Re: request new bpo packages for grub2

On 26-09-10 16:12, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> On 26-09-10 15:59, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>>> Oh my good, please no Debian wine. But anyhow got myself annoyed enough by
>>> the requests to update the backport on my own.
>>>
>>> I don't have a local lenny boxes to test it on, so I won't upload until I
>>> have some success messages. If you are brave and want to give it a try, see
>>> here: http://people.debian.org/~formorer/grub2/
>>
>> I bought a new server with SuperMicro X7SPA-HF-O motherboard that has a
>> Intel Atom™ D510 CPU.
>>
>> I tried to install the grub-common and grub-pc packages you so kindly
>> created but they are not working for me because the platform is different.
>>
>> # wget
>> http://people.debian.org/~formorer/grub2/grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
>>
>> # dpkg -i grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
>> dpkg: error processing grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
>> (--install):
>>  package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
>>
>> Would it be possible to provide an other package for grub2?
>
> I am going to try amd64 packages for the intel 64 instruction set.

I successful installed the grub2 packages and have a fully booting
system with mdadm, lvm2, ext4  and serial console! (see attachment)

I am very happy with this! Thank you Alexander!

I would suggest moving the packages to the upstream lenny-backports.

# ext4 # lvm2 # mdadm

wget
http://people.debian.org/~formorer/grub2/grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
wget
http://people.debian.org/~formorer/grub2/grub-pc_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb

dpkg -i grub-common_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
apt-get install -t lenny-backports -f

dpkg -i grub-pc_1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1_amd64.deb
apt-get install -t lenny-backports -f

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong
                   GNU GRUB  version 1.98+20100804-4~bpo50+1

 |Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64                           |
 |Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64 (recovery mode)           |
 |                                                                          |
 |                                                                          |

      Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.
      Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the commands
      before booting or 'c' for a command-line.