Re: Package request: iotop

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:08:31AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> On 21/05/2010 18:52, Leonardo Carneiro - Veltrac wrote:
> >Hi Nick. This brings a topic already discussed here: we use
> >backports to not handle directly with the testing repo.
>
> Hiya
>
> I would have to agree with Leonardo on this. I work at a large
> hosting company, and they dont want to see us pulling in from
> testing directly. But backport is fine (Go figure :) ).
>
> Im sure we all agree there really is no difference .. but the
> bigwigs dont see it like that.
>
> For the powers that be on backports, it would be appreciated if you
> would humour us on these request. There is a method to our madness
> (i.e. circumvent our managment  or what ever :) ).

I guess that when a testing package is considered directly installable
on stable, we could add it to the backports Packages, and have
backports.org just 302-redirect to a Debian mirror for actually
download.
(apt-get supports HTTP redirects now :))

It also has the benefit to document "this package version works under
stable".

--
Sylvain