Re: collectd memory leaks

Hi Vincent,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:43:11PM +1100, Vincent.McIntyre@csiro.au wrote:
> I find that the unixsock.so library has a big memory leak in my
> use case - I'm using unixsock to send collectd data to nagios3.
>
> The leak and a patch for it are mentioned here:
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/collectd@verplant.org/msg00201.html
>
> I've applied the patch and rebuilt, this helps quite a bit.
> Question: is it possible to apply this to the bpo version?

I will update the backport to version 4.9.1 shortly. Please ping me, if
this did not happen by the end of the week (but please note that the
package will have to go through NEW on bpo, though -- see
<http://backports.org/debian/new.html>). TIA.

> However there seems to be a further leak; this seems to be triggered
> if one of the rrd files the listening collectd is writing out gets
> corrupted.
> In syslog I see messages like
>  /var/lib/collectd/rrd/<somehost>/cpu-0/cpu-nice.rrd' is not an RRD file
> and the memory use of the collectd processes (ps_vm in the 'processes'
> plot) on the listener host steadily increases while these occur.
> Removing the offending files (they are recreated as valid rrd files
> automatically, though one looses the history) stops the memory usage
> growing.
> I haven't looked into plugging this leak.

I haven't heard anything about such an issue so far. Could you please
check if that behavior can still be found in 4.9 and, then, report a bug
against the package in the Debian BTS? When doing so, please try to
include information about how to reproduce that. I (or some other
upstream developer) will then try to track it down and fix it.

> Question:
> It appears that more memory leaks were fixed in 4.9, which is now in
> testing. Are there plans for version 4.9 being backported - are there
> big architectural changes that might complicate or block this?
> It doesn't seem so from a quick look at the p.d.o pages.

See above ;-)

HTH,
Sebastian