Re: contrib and non-free shouldn't be stated in the instructions

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> But explicitly writing everywhere that non-free and contrib aren't part
> of Debian, and explaining why (maybe with a link to the social contract
> page), doesn't hurt. Without such a reminder, some will be fooled.

> Something like this:

> Reminder: As per <a
> href="http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-contrib>the
> Debian policy manual</a>, we kindly remind all backports users that the
> contrib and non-free repositories aren't to be considered part of Debian.

> would be a great addition to the instructions.

The first thing the average end-user is going to ask is "what does that
mean and what implications does that have?"  I don't think you can just
say that without explaining more about how that impacts the support they
would receive for that software, etc.  The assumption will be that if you
make a statement like that, the software in contrib and non-free will be
treated differently in some concrete way.