Re: Backport latest kernel (2.6.32-5) not working (for me)

Mauro Condarelli <MC5686@mclink.it> writes:

> You were right, I didn't update my initramfs!

> The bad part is after I update it (and checked I *do* have "blacklist
> nouveau" in it) nothing changes and drm/nouveau is started (and X fails
> badly).

> I am about to install ubuntu.

Installing Ubuntu isn't going to help you if you want to run newer kernels
than the current Ubuntu stable release, which is what you're trying to do
with Debian.

Kernel modules often don't built with newer versions of the kernel because
the kernel ABI for modules is not even remotely stable.  Unless someone
has backported all the modules you care about, upgrading the kernel is not
a safe action if you rely on out-of-tree modules.

I think you should either revert your kernel upgrade or you should upgrade
to Debian testing, which is a consistent distribution (and which is also
considerably more stable and usable than most people think it is; I
personally find it more stable and usable than the average Ubuntu
release).  Alternatively, you can just hand-install the NVIDIA drivers,
which isn't difficult, although it makes a minor mess on your nicely
package-managed system.

The proprietary NVIDIA drivers are difficult to backport because they
provide 32-bit versions on amd64 and the way in which that is done has
changed significantly between lenny and squeeze, and because the current
packaging relies on very recent debhelper features in order to simplify
the too-complicated package build system.  They were also in dire shape
even in unstable for a long time, and currently that's where our (the
NVIDIA package maintainers') work is going, rather than towards working on
backports.

Hopefully in the not-too-distant future we can largely throw out the
proprietary NVIDIA drivers in favor of nouveau, since getting them to work
properly and coexist with the rest of the system is a mess of diversions
and complicated edge cases.