Re: wanna be contributer for some packages

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:09:53AM +0200, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> i want to contribute the Debian Lenny <picard> and <guessnet> programm.
> What do i have to do?
>
> picard and guessnet are very old and i want some newer versions for my
> debian lenny. How can i get access to to upload these packages to debian
> backport.

I think all these answers are at:

<http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute>

see in particular the note about non Debian Developers in "Uploading".

> Further question, do i have to contribute the debian sid package too? or
>  can i only contribute/maintain the debian lenny distribution?

It's up to the current maintainers. One good way to help out without a
lot of ongoing commitment is to file bugs relating to problems you see,
including patches against the current versions of software.

If you don't know the best way to get started on a particular package,
you could try emailing the package maintainers asking if they have any
particular areas that need help.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:16:01AM +0200, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> I forgot, i am not a debian maintainer. I just want contribute/maintain
> some packages without commitments.

You can't really be sole maintainer of a package without ongoing
commitment. All packages need occasional work, to a greater or lesser
extent.

You might find more general information of use at

<http://www.debian.org/devel/>

Regards,
Dominic.