to udev or not to udev?

Hi,

In the process of updating various backports, I'm seeing libgudev-dev
creeping into build-deps.  For gst-plugins-base0.10, I dropped the
libgudev-dev build-dep, as it seems to only be necessary for v4l
auto-detection stuff.  However, there are other packages that I'd like
to update that require it as well (pulseaudio, for example).

I see three possible options here:

1) Don't bother updating pulseaudio, or anything else that depends upon
new features of udev

2) Update pulseaudio, but drop the libudev build-dep.  The pulseaudio
desktop package will still depend upon a newer version of udev,
effectively making it uninstallable on a lenny system.  In other words,
newer pulseaudio libs would be available for other packages to build
and depend upon, but using the pulseaudio server on one's lenny system
would not be allowed.

3) Backport udev.  This is definitely in system libs territory, and as a
bpo user I'd probably be really annoyed if I tried to install something
(ie, empathy) from bpo and it required upgrading my udev install.
OTOH, this may cause fewer things to break over time (squeeze packages
having been originally built and tested against newer version of
libudev-{1.0-,}dev).

So, I'd like opinions here.  Do people actually desire using
pulseaudio on their lenny(+bpo) systems, or are they just as happy w/ a
non-installable pulseaudio server, and having to manually configure
v4l2 devices for gstreamer?  Would you be upset having to update
something as fragile as udev when installing desktop software via
bpo?