Re: PHP4 Forward Port to Lenny

	Hi!

* Guy.Baconniere@swisscom.com <Guy.Baconniere@swisscom.com> [2010-02-04 15:44:49 CET]:
> Many companies are still using PHP4 for old scripts (web or cli)
> and they are stuck on Debian Etch because they don't have
> resources or time to port their code to PHP5 or even re-develop
> everything from schratch in Java, Python, Perl or another languages.

 Just for the record, the EOL for php4 was mentioned in the etch release
notes already so the time for transitioning was available during the
complete etch release.

> I did a forward port of PHP4 from Etch to Lenny.

 Unfortuantely, this service is called "back"borts for a reason. :)

> Can someone review my patches and decide if my package can be
> added to Debian Lenny Backports ?

 It can't be added for several reasons, see above, but the most
important is probably that php4 isn't supported upstream wise anymore
and that the support from the security team for the version in etch ends
in two week's time also. There won't be anyone available anymore
thereafter to care for it (as a whole, not only for the packaging work!)
in any sense but you - and php is too big for a single person to look
after it properly.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda