Breaking packages in stable via backports (WAS: Re: Care of your packages)

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:42:01 +0100
Jan Wagner <waja@cyconet.org> wrote:

> Hi Andres,

Hi all,

(sorry if this doesn't break into a new thread, I realise after writing
the email I might not have replied it correctly).

> On Friday 29 January 2010 17:38:29 Andres Salomon wrote:
> > Jan Wagner <waja@cyconet.org> wrote:
> > > <cite="http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute";>Before
> > > uploading please think about how useful the package is for stable
> > > users and if you want to support the package until support for the
> > > distribution you uploaded ends.</cite>

> > How is one meant to do this when a new major release adds twice as
> > many dependencies as the older version?  I don't think it's
> > reasonable to expect people to fight an uphill battle like that.

(trim)

>  You mentioned that dependencies may lead you into
> a dependency-hell, cause the requirements may raise .... this is a
> "risk" you have to think about, when uploading your first package to
> bpo.

Which introduces a question I've had about backports (which doesn't
appear to be addressed on the website).
What happens when a backport breaks dependancies of packages in stable?
Is there something that can happen? The packges I'm thinking of
specifically are bzrtools[1] and bzr-builddeb.

  bzrtools: Depends: bzr (< 1.6~) but 2.0.2-1~bpo50+1 is to be installed

Does this "simply" call for those packages to be backported by someone
who needs them?
kk

[1] seems i'm not the first to ask about this:
http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20090611.083220.4ef41dee.en.html

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au