Re: [GENERAL] Re: [Pkg-postgresql-public] Postgres major version support policy on Debian

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:

Once Postgres supports in-place upgrades between major versions, this
issue is solved.

It has in the past but apparently the work required in coding and
testing was too much and it the upgrade in place stuff was abandoned.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and someone is working on it
again.

There's a prototype being actively worked on and if we're lucky it will debut in 8.4 this March. See http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/48BB10A2.60503@sun.com for the last code submission there and http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/In-place_upgrade for an outline of the project.