Re: FAQ

Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:19:01AM +0200, Stephane List wrote:
>> 2) I want to use the latest firefox/iceweasel on a stable Debian, could
>> you help me ?
>
> At least for this one: Due to the strange handling of security issues
> at Mozilla, Debian has -- contrary to all other packages -- always the
> latest Firefox/Iceweasel in Etch (at least if it fixes major security
> issues):
>
> $ apt-cache policy firefox iceweasel
> firefox:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 2.0.0.13-0etch1
>   Version table:
>      2.0.0.13-0etch1 0
>         500 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
>      2.0.0.12-0etch1 0
>         500 http://ftp.ch.debian.org etch/main Packages
> iceweasel:
>   Installed: 2.0.0.13-0etch1
>   Candidate: 2.0.0.13-0etch1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.0.0.13-0etch1 0
>         500 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.0.0.12-0etch1 0
>         500 http://ftp.ch.debian.org etch/main Packages
>
> (Ok, this does not count for Firefox 3.0, but that one is not even in
> unstable or experimental yet.)
Iceweasel 3.0~b4 is in experimental (and 3.0~b3 was there, too):
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/iceweasel/news/20080323T031711Z.html
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/iceweasel/news/20080324T050212Z.html

--
Julian Andres Klode, Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
                     Debian Maintainer | Developer | Ubuntu Member

try Debian: http://www.debian.org/ | my site: http://jak-linux.org/
        jabber: juliank@jabber.org | IRC: juliank (FreeNode, OFTC)
            languages:     German  | English