Re: Gnash 0.8.3 backport (with PPC support)

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 01:13:20PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 09:35:57AM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > +gnash (0.8.3-1~bpo40+1) etch-backports; urgency=low
> > +
> > +  * Rebuild for Debian Backports <http://www.backports.org/>
> > +  * Disabled -fvisibility-inlines-hidden
> > +    (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?22753) so it builds on PPC
>
> > +-CHECK_VISIBILITY_GCC_BUG
> > ++dnl CHECK_VISIBILITY_GCC_BUG
>
> Is this the fix that will be merged upstream?  Looks like a workaround.

The proper fix is to upgrade GCC :) This CHECK_VISIBILITY_GCC_BUG is
already a work-around.

I am 100% sure that this is exactly the cause, since I spent like 1
day bisect'ing the CVS repository to find the particular commit that
introduces the build failure:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnash/configure.ac?root=gnash&r1=1.417&r2=1.418
(Note the "FIXME: this GCC feature isn't fully debugged yet, so we
don't want to use it by default.")

Upstream hasn't been very reactive about this issue and currently
don't test Gnash under Etch/pcc, so I wouldn't expect them to fix
this soon.

Note that this option isn't particularly crucial:
  -fvisibility-inlines-hidden Marks all inlined methods as having hidden
                              visibility

> > +  * Removed --ignore-missing-info option to dh_shlibdeps which doesn't
> > +    exist in Etch
>
> Is there a way in which this can be merged?  Perhaps by using
> "grep -- --ignore-missing-info /usr/bin/dpkg-shlibdeps" to probe for
> this feature?

This would work:
dpkg-shlibdeps --help | grep -- --ignore-missing-info > /dev/null

> > -Uploaders: Alexander Sack <asac@jwsdot.com>, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>
> > +Uploaders: Alexander Sack <asac@jwsdot.com>, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>, Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net>
>
> You don't need to add yourself to Uploaders when doing backports;  it is
> assumed you can upload to backports.org regardless of what debian/control
> says.

http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute recommends it so
the backports appear in your QA page. But this isn't really important
here.

Cheers,

--
Sylvain