Re: Pinning openoffice

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:20:55PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Freitag, 7. September 2007 10:29 schrieb Sebastian Harl:
> > On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 09:03:37AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > I am wondering, if I need to pin all dependencies from openoffice.org to
> > > get
> > >
> > > -> openoffice.org installed from etch-backports
> > > -> to get updates when available
> >
> > You need to pin the package you want to install from backports.org and all
> > of its dependencies that cannot be satisfied from Etch. In some cases this
> > might be a pretty high number of packages, thus you might want to use
> >
> >   aptitude/apt-get install -t etch-backports <package>
> >
> > This will install <package> and all of its dependencies which are available
> > on backports.org from backports.org. If you just want a minimal set of
> > dependencies installed from backports.org, you might want to install the
> > package from stable first and then upgrade to the version in backports.org:
> >
> >   aptitude/apt-get install <package>
> >   aptitude/apt-get install -t etch-backports <package>
>
> When an updated package becomes available on backorts.org, will it be updated
> with an
>
> aptitude update/upgrade?

Well, basically yes. The currently installed version (in that case) has the
same priority than the new version available from backports.org and thus will
be upgraded.

However, if the new version requires new dependencies from backports.org
(which could be satisfied from Etch so far) those will not be installed
automatically. You can work around this by doing

  aptitude/apt-get install -t etch-backports <package>

again. You will run into the same problem if you use pinning though.

HTH,
Sebastian