To: <backports-users@lists.backports.org>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 4:28 PM
Subject: ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

I mistakely reported a problem to debian:

and was asked to forward it here.

I was able to install python-setuptools, but I believe this is not
possible on a debian stable system.

$ sudo apt-get install python-setuptools
$ easy_install
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/easy_install", line 4, in ?
   import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

I cannot find pkg_resources in stable. I can find it in unstable though:
usr/share/pycentral/python-setuptools/site-packages/pkg_resources.py
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?version=unstable&arch=i386&case=insensitive&word=pkg_resources&searchmode=searchword

IMHO python-setuptools should depend on a newer python version is my
guess...

Ref:
$ python
Python 2.3.5 (#2, Oct 16 2006, 19:19:48)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)] on linux2

Thanks !