Kernel 2.6.16 and iptables

Hi,

I just thought I'd share the following with you all. It's a bit off-topic, but hopefully useful nonetheless.

I wanted to install a kernel from Bpo (linux-image-2.6-vserver-686 6.16-13bpo1), but I knew there would be problems with IPsec tunnels and masquerading, because of changes in netfilter.

The solution I found after a lot of searching and reading was to insert an iptables rule like this one, just above the MASQUERADE rule:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -m policy --dir out --pol ipsec -j ACCEPT

(eth1 is where my internet connection is on)

However, this requires IPsec policy match support, in the kernel as well as in iptables. This didn't work with iptables 1.3.3-1bpo1. Finalyy I decided to package iptables 1.3.5 from upstream and now it works. I case anyone is interested:

http://debian.sipo.nl/dists/sarge/iptables/binary-i386/iptables_1.3.5-0pocos1_i386.deb

I hope this is of use to anyone outthere.

Regards,
Martijn.