Re: How do I uninstall a backport?

--On February 10, 2006 3:32:13 PM +0000 Noel O'Boyle <no228@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

Dear all,

I installed the backport of firefox 1.5 from backports.org. I have had
some problems (creating new bookmarks, and with security certificates)
and decided to uninstall it. Now I find that I cannot get back the old
Debian stable firefox 1.1.

I commented out the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
# deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main

and removed all of the lines I had added to /etc/apt/preferences (which
restricted the updates to firefox).

Then I tried to "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade firefox", but it
said I already had the latest version of firefox. So I removed it
"apt-get remove" and then tried to install it, but I got:

By default APT will refuse to downgrade. Take a look at the article <http://linuxgazette.net/issue86/tougher.html> more specifically <http://linuxgazette.net/issue86/tougher.html#3.4>

HTH!