Re: Please rebuild exim4 with libdb4.2-dev

(Sorry Marc, I hit the wrong button.)

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 03:20:49PM +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:

>> The recent backport of exim4 depends on libdb4.3, which renders the old
>> hints databases of exim4 useless, since they were created with libdb4.2.
>>
>> This is just a minor but still annoying fault, because it fills the
>> logfile with error messages.
>
> You can safely zap the hints databases.

I know.

But I don't want to manually touch each of my 20-some mailservers and
kill the hints db just because the package gets recompiled with yet
another flavor of libdb.

As far as I understood the backporting rules your should always use the
build depends of the Sarge version (if possible) to not cause any
surprises for the user of the backport.

The previous backports of exim4 were all compiled using libdb4.2 AFAIR,
so this new dependency quite surprised me.

S°

--
Sven Hartge -- professioneller Unix-Geek
Meine Gedanken im Netz: http://www.svenhartge.de/