Re: Cannot install from sarge-backports
On Wed, 03 May 2006 08:25:40 +1000
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> openoffice.org-base: Depends: java-gcj-compat but it is not
> installable or
> j2re1.4 but it is not installable or
> java2-runtime but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
I had this problem too. You need to install Java first. But you have to do it the 'Debian way' -
1. Download Java Runtime Environment from eg. www.sun.com and chmod +x it.
2. apt-get install java-package (like kernel-package, but for building java). also install build-essential if you don't already have it.
3. cd to java download directory and: make-jpkg <java_version_name>.bin
4. blah blah blah with the license agreements.
5. When your java .deb package is built just install it with dpkg -i . A mozilla/firefox plugin should be set up automatically if you use these browsers, and you should now be able to proceed with your open office install.