Re: vlc backport for fearless people

Marchand Vincent wrote:
> Daniel,
> I think your instructions and comments could benefit to other people as
> well, those who are not knowledgable in this packaging issues, but would
> like to learn.

Speaking of how to make backports, there are two kind of people: those
who already know how to package, and those who don't.

Those who already do, only need to carefully follow the rules of

  1. Backport packages only from testing, not unstable
     (except when updating already existing backports,
      backports from unstable are accepted for security fixes).

  2. Use 'sarge-backports' as distribution, not stable or unstable.

  3. Reduce the revision by one and append bpo${build_int}.

  4. Backport no Build-Depends if not absolutely needed.

  5. Always build against plain sarge (and include other
     backports only if absolutely needed).

Those, who don't know about packaging should read the Debian
New-Maintainers Guide[0] and/or ask questions on debian-mentors[1] to
get familiar with packaging. I /personally/ don't think that
backports.org is or should be a place how to learn packaging.

> So, don't you think it would be worth NOT publishing your comments off
> the list ?

The reason why I prefere that to do off-list is:

  * no useless and anoying traffic on the mailing-list about basic
    packaging issues.

  * 4 of the last 4 people who requested reviewing of their packages
    were Germans, my speaking/writing in my second mother-tonque (my
    first is Swiss German *scnr) is still better than my English.

> Thanks for clarifying,
> Rgds,

My 'offer' is the same for you as for all others: If you need help
specifically with backporting, don't hesitate to ask on the list, post a
URL where one can review the package (binary and sources, of course)
and, at least I, will have a look at it for sure.