Re: vlc backport for fearless people

Marchand Vincent wrote:
> Daniel,
> I think your instructions and comments could benefit to other people as
> well, those who are not knowledgable in this packaging issues, but would
> like to learn.

Speaking of how to make backports, there are two kind of people: those
who already know how to package, and those who don't.

Those who already do, only need to carefully follow the rules of
backporting:

  1. Backport packages only from testing, not unstable
     (except when updating already existing backports,
      backports from unstable are accepted for security fixes).

  2. Use 'sarge-backports' as distribution, not stable or unstable.

  3. Reduce the revision by one and append bpo${build_int}.

  4. Backport no Build-Depends if not absolutely needed.

  5. Always build against plain sarge (and include other
     backports only if absolutely needed).

Those, who don't know about packaging should read the Debian
New-Maintainers Guide[0] and/or ask questions on debian-mentors[1] to
get familiar with packaging. I /personally/ don't think that
backports.org is or should be a place how to learn packaging.

> So, don't you think it would be worth NOT publishing your comments off
> the list ?

The reason why I prefere that to do off-list is:

  * no useless and anoying traffic on the mailing-list about basic
    packaging issues.

  * 4 of the last 4 people who requested reviewing of their packages
    were Germans, my speaking/writing in my second mother-tonque (my
    first is Swiss German *scnr) is still better than my English.

> Thanks for clarifying,
> Rgds,

My 'offer' is the same for you as for all others: If you need help
specifically with backporting, don't hesitate to ask on the list, post a
URL where one can review the package (binary and sources, of course)
and, at least I, will have a look at it for sure.