KDE upgrade questions

Hi

I was trying to do another kde upgrade (I reinstalled Debian 3.1 from scratch)
and I came across these, what seem to be, odd conflicts.

alsa utils wants to remove hal, hal device manager and udev
Upgrading udev, it want to remove hal, hal device manage and hotplug
(they also try to remove gnome-volume-control but I don't use it).

kde-devel, kde-devel-extras are going to be removed. I tend to build a lot of
my own packages (learning purposes) will this in any way affect my ability to
do so?

Its seems like a bad idea to have hal, hal device manager. and udev removed,
or hal, hal device manage and hotplug with a udev upgrade.

Basically how should I proceed?

Thanks

Kate