How do I uninstall a backport?

Dear all,

I installed the backport of firefox 1.5 from backports.org. I have had
some problems (creating new bookmarks, and with security certificates)
and decided to uninstall it. Now I find that I cannot get back the old
Debian stable firefox 1.1.

I commented out the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
# deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main

and removed all of the lines I had added to /etc/apt/preferences (which
restricted the updates to firefox).

Then I tried to "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade firefox", but it
said I already had the latest version of firefox. So I removed it
"apt-get remove" and then tried to install it, but I got:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package firefox is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package firefox has no installation candidate

I think I've messed my system up. Can anyone help?

Regards,
 Noel