Accepted crash 7.1.8-1~bpo8+1 (source amd64) into jessie-backports->backports-policy, jessie-backports
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 10:41:52 -0700
Architecture: source amd64
Maintainer: Troy Heber <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Troy Heber <email@example.com>
crash - kernel debugging utility, allowing gdb like syntax
crash (7.1.8-1~bpo8+1) jessie-backports; urgency=medium
* New upstream 7.1.8
* Fix for Linux 4.6 commit b03a017bebc403d40aa53a092e79b3020786537d, which
introduced the new slab management type OBJFREELIST_SLAB. In this mode,
the freelist can be an object, and if the slab is full, there is no
freelist. On the next free, an object is recycled to be used as the
freelist but not cleaned-up. This patch will go through only known freed
objects, and will prevent "kmem -S" errors that indicate "invalid/corrupt
freelist entry" on kernels configured with CONFIG_SLAB.
* Fix for the initialization-time loading of kernel module symbols if the
kernel crashed while running a module's initcall. Without the patch, the
crash session fails during initialation with a message similar to "crash:
store_module_symbols_v2: total: 7 mcnt: 8".
* Fix for a segmentation violation during session inialization when running
against a 32-bit MIPS ELF kdump or compressed kdump if a per-cpu
NT_PRSTATUS note cannot be gathered from the dumpfile header. Without the
the patch, a segmentation violation occurs after the message "WARNING:
cannot find NT_PRSTATUS note for cpu: <number>" is displayed.
* The 32-bit MIPS PGD_ORDER() macro expects __PGD_ORDER to be signed, which
it isn't now since the internal machdep->pagesize is unsigned. Without
this patch, module loading fails during initialization on a kernel that
has a page size of 16KB, with messages that indicate "please wait...
(gathering module symbol data)" followed by "crash: invalid size request:
0 type: pgd page".
* For ARM64 dumpfiles with VMCOREINFO, verify the new "VA_BITS" number
against the calculated number.
* Fix for the ARM64 "bt" command in Linux 4.10 and later kernels that are
configured with CONFIG_THREAD_INFO_IN_TASK. Without the patch, the "bt"
command will fail for active tasks in dumpfiles that were generated by the
* Fix for Linux 4.10 commit 7fd8329ba502ef76dd91db561c7aed696b2c7720
"taint/module: Clean up global and module taint flags handling". Without
the patch, when running against Linux 4.10-rc1 and later kernels, the
crash utility fails during session initialization with the message "crash:
invalid structure size: tnt".
* Fix for support of /proc/kcore as the live memory source in Linux 4.8 and
later x86_64 kernels configured with CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE, which
randomizes the unity-mapping PAGE_OFFSET value. Without the patch, the
crash session fails during session initialization with the error message
"crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: <address> type:
* Update to the module taint flags handling patch above to account for the
change in size of the module.taints flag from an int to a long, while
allowing for a kernel backport that keeps it as an int.
* Prepare for the kernel's "taint_flag.true" and "taint_flag.false" member
names to be changed to "c_true" and "c_false", which fixes build problems
when an out-of-tree module defines "true" or "false".
* Prevent the livepatch taint flag check during the system banner display
from generating a fatal session-killing error if relevant kernel symbol
names or data structures change in the future (again).
* Fix for the PPC64 "bt" command for non-panicking active tasks in
FADUMP-generated dumpfiles (Firmware Assisted Dump facility). Without the
patch, backtraces of those tasks may be of the form "#0 [c0000000700b3a90]
(null) at c0000000700b3b50 (unreliable)". This patch uses and displays
the ptregs register set saved in the dumpfile header for the non-panicking
* Fix for a possible segmentation violation when analyzing Linux 4.6 and
earlier x86_64 kernels configured with CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE. A
segmentation violation may occur during session initialization, just after
the patching of the gdb minimal_symbol values message, depending upon the
value of KERNEL_IMAGE_SIZE, which was variable in the earlier KASLR
kernels. This patch sets the KERNEL_IMAGE_SIZE default value to 1GB for
those earlier kernels, and also adds a new "--machdep
kernel_image_size=<value>" option that can be used to override the default
KERNEL_IMAGE_SIZE value if necessary.
* Fix the bracketing of the x86_64 FILL_PML4() macro.
* Fix for the "tree -t radix", "irq", and "files -p" command options in
Linux 4.6 and later kernels due to upstream changes in the radix tree
facility. Without the patch, the commands will fail with the message
"radix trees do not exist or have changed their format".
* Fix for the "trace.c" extension module. The kernel buffer referenced by
"max_tr_ring_buffer" is not available in all configurations of the kernel
so the unitialized max_tr_ring_buffer variable should not be used. A
similar check existed previously before the recent rework of the trace
extension module to support multiple buffers.
* Clarification in the display of CONFIG_SLUB object addresses that are
displayed by the "kmem" command when SLAB_RED_ZONE has been enabled. By
default, CONFIG_SLUB object addresses that are displayed by the "kmem"
command will point to the SLAB_RED_ZONE padding inserted at the beginning
of the object. As an alternative, a new "redzone" environment variable
has been addedd that can be toggled on or off. If "set redzone off" is
entered, the object addresses will point to the address that gets returned
to the allocator.
* Fix for the "CURRENT" value displayed by the "timer -r" command. Without
the patch, if the target machine has been up for a long enough time, an
arithmetic overflow will occur and the time value displayed will be
* Fix for 32-bit X86 kernels configured with CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE. Without
the patch, an invalid kernel PAGE_OFFSET value is calculated and as a
result the session fails during session initialization just after the
patching of the gdb minimal_symbol values message, showing the warning
message "WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string", followed by "crash:
/vmlinux and /dev/crash do not match!". This patch also adds a new
"--machdep page_offset=<value>" option that can be used if the
CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET value is not the default address of 0xc0000000.
* Introduction of a new PPC64-only "mach -o" option that dumps the OPAL
"Open Power Abstraction Layer" console buffer.
* Fix for the "bt" command on Linux 4.9 and later 32-bit X86 kernels
containing kernel commit 0100301bfdf56a2a370c7157b5ab0fbf9313e1cd, subject
"sched/x86: Rewrite the switch_to() code". Without the patch, backtraces
for inactive (sleeping) tasks fail with the message "bt: invalid structure
member offset: task_struct_thread_eip".
* Fix for a "[-Wmisleading-indentation]" compiler warning and the associated
bug that is generated by lkcd_x86_trace.c when building 32-bit X86 with
"make warn" with gcc-6.3.1.
* Fix for an invalid "bt" warning on a 32-bit X86 idle/swapper task.
Without the patch, the backtrace displays the "cannot resolve stack trace"
warning, dumps the backtrace, and then the text symbols:
crash> bt PID: 0 TASK: f0962180 CPU: 6 COMMAND:
"swapper/6" bt: cannot resolve stack trace: #0 [f095ff1c]
__schedule at c0b6ef8d #1 [f095ff58] schedule at c0b6f4a9 #2
[f095ff64] schedule_preempt_disabled at c0b6f728 #3 [f095ff6c]
cpu_startup_entry at c04b0310 #4 [f095ff94] start_secondary at
c04468c0 bt: text symbols on stack: [f095ff1c] __schedule at
c0b6ef8d [f095ff58] schedule at c0b6f4ae [f095ff64]
schedule_preempt_disabled at c0b6f72d [f095ff6c]
cpu_startup_entry at c04b0315 [f095ff94] start_secondary at
The backtrace shown is actually correct.
* Another fix for a similar "bt: cannot resolve stack trace" warning on a
32-bit X86 idle/swapper task, but when running on cpu 0.
* Remove two one-time warning messages that are displayed when running the
"bt" command on Linux 4.2 and later 32-bit X86 kernels. Without the
patch, the first "bt" command that is executed will be preceded by "bt:
WARNING: "system_call" symbol does not exist", followed by "bt: WARNING:
neither "ret_from_sys_call" nor "syscall_badsys" symbols exist".
* Fix for Linux 3.15 and later 32-bit X86 kernels containing kernel commit
198d208df4371734ac4728f69cb585c284d20a15, titled "x86: Keep thread_info on
thread stack in x86_32". Without the patch, incorrect addresses of each
per-cpu hardirq_stack and softirq_stack were saved for usage by the "bt"
* Additional fix for Linux 3.15 and later 32-bit X86 kernels containing
kernel commit 198d208df4371734ac4728f69cb585c284d20a15, titled "x86: Keep
thread_info on thread stack in x86_32". The patch fixes the stack
transition symbol from "handle_IRQ" to "handle_irq" for usage by the "bt"
* Fix for 32-bit X86 kernels to determine the active task in a dumpfile in
the situation where the task was running on its soft IRQ stack, took a
hard IRQ, and then the system crashed while it was running on its hard IRQ
* Allow the "--kaslr=<offset>" and/or "--kaslr=auto" command line options to
be used with the 32-bit X86 architecture.
* Removed -Werror from the bfd and opcode library builds.
9b0912ba6a467209936305eabbb3156a21985c83 1857 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.dsc
a26a9cfc7b7aa962195845886d3a8e4375dc60b6 32154963 crash_7.1.8.orig.tar.gz
4deb1943a2ca9da34cac82a5366c091cd4fe86b7 104714 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.diff.gz
929e0bd80a2e8bed375e73dcdc90500d01999cba 2624712 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1_amd64.deb
835ee431b54855496b4d3093a210025c998a8295ed15699852273dc227cac887 1857 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.dsc
e2fc0463cd91ef98d5ed88ec2db5fcc8b2dbd6a3066ce40c60e48e3ac49b447d 32154963 crash_7.1.8.orig.tar.gz
f62094a3b218fb264724306add94e3b47e703bfbe3111f957e83bd3a2595f1f6 104714 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.diff.gz
37555d2478cd4bd9ee5c8417f8a91a285be76bfddf0ac76db25e88106d2bc168 2624712 crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1_amd64.deb
ae13c261d01c1b0c75679b37a04e9e2e 1857 utils optional crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.dsc
fc424e8f01215e68d67a5b6c80ae8dd8 32154963 utils optional crash_7.1.8.orig.tar.gz
a366ced6c74026ee6fefd51d0ab3a64e 104714 utils optional crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1.diff.gz
fb0a0be600b00c63900cbc1636ce53c6 2624712 utils optional crash_7.1.8-1~bpo8+1_amd64.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----