Re: Inclusion of the ducc0 Python package?

Dear Martin,

in principle, I think it would be a good addition. However, I would like
to have the package having a bit more "strengtened" focus. Currently, it
looks like a random collection of algorithms, which are finally hard to
find for a developer.

For example, if one would want to use fft, they would probably just
stick to scipy and not even search for something else (unless there is a
specific need). Therefore, the best here would probably be, instead of
maintaining your own package, to try to include it into scipy with a
pull request (on https://github.com/scipy/scipy). This would also have
the advantage that you get a review of your code by other experienced
people.

Similar things can be said for the sht and the convolution algorithms.

For Healpix, I suggest to have a look into the Healpix package of
astropy, https://github.com/astropy/astropy-healpix, and to help them
instead of maintaining your own package.

And for the gridding algorithm, from the README it turns out that it is
already integrated in wsclean, so probably it is better to cooperate
with this package instead of having an extra one.

It is really better to improve the existing software packages instead to
start writing your own. Aside from the often fruitful discussion during
integration, the long-term maintainance is much better ensured and the
visibility is much higher. And for the software community, it is easier
to have a canonical place for an algorithm instead of searching a number
of "Useful Code Collections". Fragmentation of software is also
fragmentation of development power.

Does this make sense for you? I am however happy to discuss this if
(resp. where) you disagree.

Best regards

Ole