Re: Pulsar software

Dear Jim,

On 16.08.21 13:04, Jim Palfreyman wrote:
But I was disappointed that I couldn't find pulsar software included.
What's also needed is:

psrchive
tempo2
dspsr

which also needs:
psrcat
pgplot

Could you please include it!

as I already wrote on Facebook, these packages are probably not difficult to include, since they were already packaged within the "KERN" suite.

Debian is Open Source, and we require that the packages we distribute are Open Source as well, which is probably (after a quick check) the case for psrchive2, tempo2 and dspsr. For psrcat, I couldn't find a license, so this needs to be clarified first.

pgplot itself is not Open Source, but there is a free plug-in replacement with "Giza", which is already in Debian.

The sources for the KERN packages are here:

https://github.com/kernsuite-debian/psrchive
https://github.com/kernsuite-debian/tempo2
https://github.com/kernsuite-debian/dspsr
https://github.com/kernsuite-debian/psrcat

Most of the packages here are a bit old, so when one adopts them, it would be a good idea to update them (both the upstream files and the Debian packaging files). As I wrote, if you would volunteer, I am happy to support you and to finally sponsor the upload of the packages to the Debian repositories.

The same is in principle true for pulsar software, Also here I would gladly help if someone volunteers to create a package.

Best regards

Ole