Astropy and Python 2/3

Hi all,

the astropy just announced the release candidate of the upcoming 3.0
version [1]. The most important change in this version is the removal of
Python 2 support. Similarly, Numpy will drop Python 2 support at the end
of this year. And, you probably know that Python 2 will reach End Of
Life in 2020.

This means that it is now a good moment to switch to Python 3. To make
this smooth, I will separate the Python 2 package of Astropy from the
rest. The Python 2 package will stay at version 2.0 (with possible
bugfix releases).

In the next months, I will check the reverse dependencies of astropy and
file bugs for the dependent packages, if they have no Python 3
equivalent. The goal is to have all packages as Python 3 versions as
well, and all applications running with Python 3. Please keep in mind,
that Python 2 support may disappear from other dependencies as well, so
the only safe way to survive is to bring everything to Python 3.

Please also check the debian-python mailing list [2] for discussions on
this topic.

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/astropy-dev/G8oiopAuqVI/discussion